What is it?
Solid surface countertops are a generic term for materials that are composed of two main ingredients: natural mineral filler and a resin binder. Along with a few other elements such as pigments, UV absorbers, stabilizers, and catalyst these materials are then cast into ¼, ½, ¾ or 1 ¼ (3cm) sheets that can be fabricated into numerous projects, one of the most common being kitchen and bath countertops. Solid Surface products are some of the most unique materials for countertops and other surfaces. The acrylic-based resin solid surfaces can actually be heated and bent to almost any imaginable shape.
There are a lot of advantages to using solid surface for your kitchen or bath countertops. These include:
- Virtually invisible seams.
- More affordable than other solid countertops products.
- Available in many colors.
- Can be used with any type of sink, including a seamless sink colored with the same solid surface material.
- Able to be buffed and renewed to “look like the day it was installed.”
While there are a lot of advantages to solid surface, there are also several disadvantages. These include:
- Not heat resistant.
- Shows scratches and imperfections – may need to be buffed after much use.
- Non-Eco friendly.
- Over time, the appearance changes slightly.